Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Whoever I was then, I can't ever be again



My favorite song by Taking Back Sunday is called Miami, which is on their most recent album, Louder Now.
http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Taking-Back-Sunday/Miami.html

The lyrics to this song are actually less obscure than most of Taking Back Sunday's lyrics. And interesting tidbit about this song is that it is lead singer Adam Lazzara's favorite song off the Louder Now record and it is his least favorite place in the world. The song is written as one person talking to another, most likely their love interest. I think the song is the speaker apologizing for having done bad things in the past (in Miami). The person that the song is directed to had faith in the speaker and possibly wanted to marry him. The speaker is very scared of marriage and probably commitment. However, the speaker is saying that the person he was in Miami is completely different and he can never be that person again. The tone of the lyrics would lead me to believe that the speaker has deep regret about what he has done in the past.
The lyrics don't really apply to me personally, but I can see how people could relate to this song. Mostly everyone has regrets about the past and relationships. This song is my favortie really more because of the sound rather than the lyrics. It has a really good beat and genreally sounds awesome. I never really considered the lyrics and I do like that it is like a monologue that could take place in real life- someone apologizing for what they were like in the past. I'm sure it happens all the time. The lyrics don't really have a profound effect on me- I still like the song simply because it sounds good.
Actually my favorite lines from a Taking Back Sunday song are from the song You're So Last Summer. It goes: The truth/ Is you could slit my throat/ And with my one last gasping breath/ I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt. I just think that that is a really funny image- someone apologizing for bleeding while they die. It could be in a Tarantino movie or something.

No comments: