Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tell All Your Friends, Global Warming Sucks!


I heard about Taking Back Sunday two summers ago when their song MakeDamnSure was getting a lot of radio airplay on Q101 (the alternative rock station). I was instantly drawn to their sound; hard rock, but with a strong melody, incorporating both fast and slow parts into their music. Also, the lead singer, Adam Lazzara, has a nice voice and is certainly easy on the eyes. Hearing that song prompted me to buy their newest album, Louder Now, which I ended up loving. I later bought their other two albums, Tell All Your Friends, and Where You Want To Be, which I also love. Their lyrics are really interesting- they're kind of a jumble of obscure ideas with a repetitive chorus, and often a call-and-response type pattern between Lazzara, and the guitarist/back-up vocalist, Fred Mascherino. I can't really say if they lyrically represent the values of my generation because the lyrics are so complicated. Take for example their hit song MakeDamnSure, it begins: You've got this new head filled up with smoke/ I've got my veins all tangled close/ To the jukebox bars you frequent/ The safest place to hide. This lyric, like many of theirs, are hard to understand.
However, I do know what they stand for, and in that way they do represent the values of my generation. Talkin' 'bout my generation (I couldn't resist...), one of the most prevalent issues today is the environment and global warming crisis. Taking Back Sunday are huge advocates of spreading awareness about this issue. The first screen that appears when going to their website, http://takingbacksunday.com , is one which advertises their new DVD, and right under that is a banner and link to Stopglobalwarming.org. Taking Back Sunday even performed at the New York branch of Live Earth: Concerts For A Climate In Crisis this summer. This event was of course arranged by the king of global warming education himself, Al Gore. The band has been working hard to make their tours more green through such methods as providing recycling bins at shows and encouraging people to carpool. I definitely noticed recycling bins and other promotions for fighting global warming when I saw Taking Back Sunday play at the Projekt Revolution tour in September. Above is a video of the band performing MakeDamnSure at Live Earth and below is an interview with the band about Live Earth and how they help the environment.

No comments: